British Passport Application
You can make a British passport application after you become a British citizen. Applicant must have British nationality to apply for a UK British passport.
Enquiry Form: Ask the Experts
British Passport Application
Once you have acquired British citizenship, you can submit your application for a British passport. After registration or naturalisation, this document will enable you to demonstrate your nationality as a UK citizen.
How to apply for a UK passport?
There are several ways to apply for a British or UK passport.
This is the least expensive and most straightforward method of applying because the application wizard will walk you through every stage of the procedure.
Check & Send Service at the Post Office
Your local Post Office will take care of inspecting your bundle of papers before sending it by Special Delivery to the HM Passport Office. For this service, there will be an extra price.
You can submit your application and any necessary supporting papers directly to the UKVI. Don’t forget to seal your envelope with the proper postage.
Only by appointment are the 1-day Premium and 1-week Fast Track services offered.
Documents required for a British passport application
You must make sure that all the documents you include with your application are original. Although formal copies of the proof that you are unable to acquire can be obtained, photocopies are not acceptable.
You’ll need the following paperwork to apply for your first British passport:
- your adoption or birth certificate (if you were born in the UK before January 1983)
- Information on the immigration status of one of your parents (if you were born in the UK after January 1983)
- If you were born overseas, your birth certificate, naturalisation documents, or registration
- Your supplemental materials
- a witness who can attest to your identity (if you are applying with a paper form)
Important information for a UK passport application
It is important to complete all parts of the form correctly to avoid delays in your application. Please note the following when filling out the form:
- The name on your passport must match your name on record. If you renamed it, your application must use the new name.
- All maiden or maiden names must be listed.
- You will need to enter your previously held UK passport details.
- To apply for an adult passport, you must be 16 years of age or older (or within 3 weeks of the date of application).
- Validation for adult passport is 10 years
- If you have a child passport, you can use it until the expiration date even if you are over 18 years old.
UK passport fees
£75.50 is the UK passport application fee for adults (16 and over) applying online. The cost of a UK passport application depends on how you apply for it.
You cannot get a refund if you cancel your application or you’re not entitled to a passport.
UK passport fees table
|Apply online||Apply by paper form|
|Adult (16 and over) standard 34-page passport||£75.50||£85|
|Adult (16 and over) 50-page frequent traveller passport||£85.50||£95|
|Child (under 16) standard 34-page passport||£49||£58.50|
|Child (under 16) 50-page frequent traveller passport||£59||£68.50|
|Passport for people born on or before 2 September 1929||Free||Free|
When will the documents be returned?
Once the application is completed, all documents will be returned separately from your passport. If you wish, you can pay extra for safe delivery. This allows us to track your package. It is your responsibility to provide a valid UK address to which your documents and passport should be sent.
All personal information used or provided during the interview will be destroyed after passport issuance.
Solicitors for British passport application
Our citizenship solicitors in Manchester can help with your UK Passport application and check your British passport application form and documents.
Our solicitors charge a fixed fee of £500 + VAT for professional legal services in relation to UK passport applications.