Contact Us

Hong Kong British Nationals Overseas (BNO) visa

You and your family members can apply for a British National (Overseas) BNO visa if you’re from Hong Kong and are a British national (overseas).

Enquiry Form: Ask the Experts

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.


Enquiry Form:

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Hong Kong British National Overseas (BNO) Visa

You can apply for a BNO visa to live, work and study in the UK If you’re from Hong Kong and are a British national (overseas) you and your family members can also join you.

There are two different routes for Hong Kong British National (Overseas) – the BN(O) Status Holder Route and the BN(O) Household Member Route.


Our highly experienced immigration solicitors based in  Levenshulme, Manchester can provide free general immigration advice online via email, online chat, or an enquiry form. For detailed advice, please book an appointment with our expert immigration solicitor today.

You can contact us on 01612258181 or leave your details here for a call back request regarding your immigration matter.

Who can apply for BN(O) Visa UK?

You can apply for a BNO visa if you are a British national (overseas) and at the age of18 or older. To be eligible for BN(O) visa, your permanent home must be:

  • in Hong Kong, if you’re applying from outside the UK
  • in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong if you’re applying in the UK

Documents for BN(O) Visa

You will need to submit the following documents and information in support of your application:

  1. valid passport or travel document confirming your identity and nationality;
  2. If you’re a British national (overseas) (BNO), you can use a current or expired BNO passport (or a photocopy) to show your BNO status when you apply.
  3. Evidence to prove that you have a permanent home in Hong Kong, the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man;
  4. Evidence to confirm that you have enough money to support yourself and your family
  5. Evidence of your relationship with family members
  6. Tuberculosis (TB) test certificate

You must provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English.

Dependants of BN(O) Visa Holder

Your family members can apply for a BNO visa if they meet the eligibility requirements. They must usually apply at the same time as you unless they are your partner or your child under the age of 18.


How long you can stay on a BN(O) visa?

You can apply to stay for either:

  • 2 years and 6 months
  • 5 years

You will be able to extend your visa if you want to stay longer. You can apply to extend your visa as many times as you want. After you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years, you can apply to live in the UK permanently.

On BN(O) Visa, you might be able to access public funds.

How much is the BN(O) visa application fee?

When you apply for BN(O) visa, you will need to pay an immigration health surcharge which is £624 per year an application fee, which is £180 if you are applying for 2 years and 6 months and £250 if you are applying for 5 years.

Our legal fee

We charge a fixed fee starting from £800 + VAT to £1200 + VAT for our professional legal services in relation to BNO visa applications. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.

How Can We Help With Your UK Visa Application?

Our expert UK immigration solicitor will guide you through every step of your application process including advice about legal requirements, eligibility criteria and required documents.

  • Detailed immigration advice
  • List of documents and assessment of supporting documents
  • Direct Access to your case handler and supervisor
  • Remote & face to face service
  • Submission of your immigration application after your approval
  • We book an appointment for you to enrol your biometrics
  • We prepare our legal representations/cover letter
  • We upload all the supporting documents
  • Unlimited chase up letters to the Home Office
  • We keep you updated with every stage of your application
  • 24/7 support in urgent matters

Call us for a free legal advice

0161 225 8181

Or ask a question to our Injury solicitor

Hong Kong British Nationals Overseas (BNO) visa